Thursday, July 14, 2011

RANDOMNESS

FAT TUESDAY


Today my hubadub and I were talking about the Mardi Gras and wondering what this event meant.   I looked up the meaning  and in french it means Fat Tuesday.    Its a big people parade where everyone is so ecstatic about all the things they are going to give up for Lent so they dress up in different costumes or just go as they are and walk the streets acting like they're all crazy in celebration of this.   That is too funny lol.    I used to give up all kinds of things for Lent back when I was a practicing Catholic too.   I don't think I really ever stopped doing anything..........at least I don't remember if I did or not lolol.     Wonder if all these people are of that faith??   Seems to me that their celebrating is kinda weird.   Think maybe its a pagan festivity?   O well just asking....................

This is what I found on the web about Mardi Gras:

Parade of People during Mardi Gras
 *** If you've ever been on Bourbon Street on Mardi Gras, as a drunken mob gathers around a Golden Calf beating drums and blowing horns and shouting "Hail to the Calf!", you won't need to ask that question. There is no doubt that the period of celebration that we call Carnival has roots in pagan end-of-winter and beginning-of-spring rituals reaching back thousands of years.
These festivals - some of which can only be described as drunken orgies - existed across most lands that were being overtaken by the Christian Church, and like many other holidays and rites, the Church sought a balance between the old and new. Understanding that the party was not going to stop, the church placed limits on it, decreeing that it could not start until the finish of the Christmas holidays and had to end on the day before Ash Wednesday.***

For many years I worked for a Tax company in Los Angeles which was owned by two men who were from Louisiana.   Their friends in Louisiana would send a sheet size cake to our office during March which is the month of the Mardi Gras.    In the cake there was a tiny baby doll which meant good luck to the person who got that piece.   They would also send bags of fake costume jewelry for everyone who worked in the office to take home.   My daughter was a little girl at the time so I would take tons of long colorful beads home for her to play with.    

#################################################################### 

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Yet another question we both were not sure of was how old America is.   That's sad not knowing this!!!   
How often do you get asked;  ' How old is your America?'   Come on we must be serious about this, NEVER!  
I am proud to live in America land of the free, where I can worship God, and carry my bible to church without hiding from anybody.     

No comments:

Post a Comment